Saturday, 19 January 2013

Spotlight San Juan - La Fortaleza

**Trolley Stop #9 - two blocks west on Fortaleza**

La FortalezaSitting atop the fortified city walls overlooking the harbor, the Fortaleza was built between 1533 and 1540 as a fortress, but it wasn't a very good one. It was attacked numerous times and was occupied twice, by the British in 1598 and the Dutch in 1625. When El Morro and the city's other fortifications were finished, the Fortaleza became the governor's palace. Numerous changes have been made to the original primitive structure over the past four centuries, resulting in the current eclectic yet eye-pleasing collection of marble and mahogany, medieval towers, and stained-glass galleries. It is still the official residence of the island's governor, and is the Western Hemisphere's oldest executive mansion in continual use. Guided tours are conducted several times a day in English and Spanish; both include a short video presentation. Call ahead to verify the day's schedule, as tours are often canceled because of official functions. Proper attire is required: no sleeveless shirts or very short shorts. The tours begin near the main gate in a yellow building called the Real Audiencia, housing the Oficina Estatal de Preservación Histórica.

    Contact Information

  • Address: Western end of Calle Fortaleza, Old San Juan, San Juan, 00901 | Map It
  • Phone: 787/721-7000 Ext. 2211
  • Cost: $3 suggested donanation
  • Hours: Weekdays 9-3:45
  • Location:Old San Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.